Have you ever passed by a sculpture or other piece of art in Oakland County and wondered where it came from, why it is there, or how many others there are in the area? You can find these works of art all over the county with the Oakland County Art Map.
Shopping small is a great way to support local businesses and find the perfect gift for anyone on your list this holiday season and throughout the year. Oakland County is home to several independent toy stores that offer a variety of specialty toys and gifts. Check out our full list of independently owned toy and gift stores:
Surprise the little ones in your life with something they’ll treasure from a local toy store. Find classic kid favorites as well as the latest and greatest toys at Adventures in Toys in Birmingham, The Village Toy Shoppe in Milford, and Funky Monkey Toys in Oxford.
For the hard to shop for on your list, check out unique stores featuring Michigan-made, whimsical, and lifestyle gifts at Catching Fireflies in Berkley or Rochester, Green Hippo Gifts in Lake Orion, or Leon and Lulu in Clawson.
Looking for something specific? Check out our interactive map of toy stores and use the legend to sort by different types of specialty shops: Collectibles; Comics; Dolls; Games; Hobby; Magic; Anime, Manga & Kawaii; Blocks & Robots; Toys; and Toys & Gifts.
Celebrate the season with a tour of holiday light displays in and around Oakland County! Show off your decorated property or visit one of the many holiday light displays using the 2nd annual Oakland County Holiday Lights Map. Use the map below to discover festive homes like My Light Show in Waterford, community displays such as the Big, Bright Light Show in Downtown Rochester, and popular attractions like Wild Lights at the Detroit Zoo.
Submit your display or find one to visit using the interactive Oakland County Holiday Lights Map. Residents, communities, and businesses in the area can submit their own properties and, once approved, they will show up on the map for others to visit in person.
Submit Your Holiday Lights Display
Enter your own property into the Oakland County Holiday Lights Map by following the instructions below:
- Visit the Oakland County Holiday Lights Map webpage from your mobile device or desktop computer. Mac desktop users should use Safari or Firefox for optimal experience.
- Press the “+ Submit Your Light Display” button on the top right corner of the webpage.
- Upload a picture of your decorated property, the title of your holiday display, your address, and a description of what visitors should expect to see.
- Press the “Accept Terms and Submit” button.
That’s it, you are done! Wait a few hours and check back to view your property on the Oakland County Holiday Lights Map.
Please note, all submissions will go through an approval process before showing up on the Oakland County Holiday Lights Map. Submissions without a photo will not be accepted. Only submit photos of your own property and be aware that by uploading your submission, you are encouraging people to visit your property.
Check out the 2018 Oakland County Holiday Lights Map to submit and travel to your favorite decorated displays in and around Oakland County. Before planning your trip, continue reading below to learn about three of last year’s holiday lights displays and their charitable impact upon the community.
Oakland County is home to seven “u-cut” tree farms. Enjoy the holiday tradition of cutting your own tree whether it’s your first adventure or an annual tradition. Check out our interactive map and full list to find the best tree farm for you:
Before you head out to find your special tree, prepare yourself with these tree farm tips:
- Dress for the weather, and be prepared for snow.
- Check ahead for special events such as Santa visits, hayrides, hot cocoa and cider.
- Some farms may not accept credit or debit cards; call ahead or bring cash or checks just in case.
- Avoid tripping or falling by watching out for hidden stumps while walking on the farm.
- Prepare your home ahead of time to make sure your tree’s path inside is obstruction-free.
- Read through the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)’s comprehensive list of tree and decoration safety precautions to avoid hazards to your safety and property.
For more tips visit the Michigan Christmas Tree Association website here. Stay warm and have fun!
H-A-L-L-O-W-E-E-N is coming! Get into the spooky spirit of the season with a visit to the best Halloween Light Displays in Oakland County, Michigan and beyond. Whether you want to show off your own Halloween decor, or take a drive to check out other displays, Oakland County’s Crowdsourced Halloween Light Displays Map can help.
Submitting is Easy!
How does it work? You can submit festive displays from your home or business to the Oakland County Crowdsourced Halloween Displays Map and once approved, the homes and businesses will show up on the map for users to visit in person.