Looking for an old-time theater with striking digital projection? Receive the best of both worlds at the Farmington Civic Theater (FCT) in Downtown Farmington! Since 1940, the Farmington Civic Theater has been an icon in the Detroit area. Remember the old times with a tall blade sign featuring neon letters and a ticket booth right outside the front doors.
Bringing in about 72,000 visitors a year with movies just $5 a ticket (cash only), the FCT is a magnet for movie going. Unlike many other movie theaters, The Farmington Civic Theater starts on time, so don’t be late!
The FCT features recent movies seven days a week with occasional special events, including the annual Miss Farmington Pageant, comedy acts, musicals, and more. Enjoy an evening out on the town and combine dinner with a movie.
Known as a social entertainment venue with a hometown feel, the two-story theater is the perfect place for business meetings, conferences, specials events, or private movie screenings. View the current rate sheet for more information on rentals or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Farmington Civic Theater has been a fixture since 1940. Below is a timeline of history as the FCT has remained a special part of Downtown Farmington.
1939: Construction began under the direction of architect C. Howard Crane, in Art Moderne style.
1940: Opening-night movie, “Hired Wife“, shown at the new downtown venue which included balcony seating. Edward Hohler, manager.
1951: Edward Hohler purchased the Farmington Civic Theater business.
1973: Ed’s son, Gregory, began managing the theater.
1989: Greg Hohler purchased the theater building. Theater closed for the first time in its history for a five-week remodeling. The balcony became the upstairs theater.
1999: The City of Farmington purchased the theater building and business from Greg Hohler.
2000: The Farmington Civic Theater re-opened with a gala after being closed for renovations.
2013: 35mm projectors removed. Digital projection, Dolby Surround 7.1 and new speakers installed.
33332 Grand River Ave. Farmington, MI