Are video games on your shopping list for the children in your life this Holiday? The Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) assigns video game ratings based on game content to help parents and shoppers make informed choices. The Oakland County Board of Commissioners can help you navigate the Holidays, along with the ESRB, with these tips for video games, one of the hottest presents under the tree.
Trying to navigate the video game world to find a popular game? These tips can help your shopping:
- Find out what system the player is using. Some systems are more flexible than others with the games that can be used.
- Watch and understand the ESRB ratings.
- Pay attention to what games they already own.
- Not sure what they have? Ask the child or parent to verify.
- Give a gift card if you are unsure what is allowed in the home, or what would make the player happiest.
EC = Early Childhood
- Titles rated EC – Early Childhood have content that may be suitable for persons ages three and older. Titles in this category contain no material that parents would find inappropriate.
E = Everyone
- Titles rated E – Everyone have content that may be suitable for persons ages six and older. Titles in this category may contain minimal violence, some comic mischief and/or mild language.
T = Teen
- Titles rated T – Teen have content that may be suitable for persons ages 13 and older. Titles in this category may contain violent content, mild or strong language and/or suggestive themes.
M = Mature
- Titles rated M – Mature have content that may be suitable for persons ages 17 and older. Titles in this category may contain mature sexual themes, more intense violence and/or strong language.
AO = Adults Only
- Titles rated AO – Adults Only have content suitable only for adults. Titles in this category may include graphic depictions of sex and/or violence. Adults Only products are not intended for people under the age of 18.
RP = Rating Pending
- Titles listed as RP – Rating Pending have been submitted to the ESRB and are awaiting final rating.
Find more information on video game safety ratings here, and download the app if you have a question while you’re out and about.
Visit the Oakland County website and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & Pinterest for more news and information in Oakland County year round!