Being in the water is one of the best parts of the warmer months, especially in Oakland County, a place home to a wide variety of great swimming spots, but it is incredibly important to stay safe while you are swimming. Review these swimming safety tips before taking a dip in your favorite lake or pool.
There’s a bunch of fun and excitement to be had on the water when boating. However, it’s incredibly important to be prepared and to review safety tips involving boats and lakes before heading out to the water. Don’t worry; check out our thorough guide on boating safety below, and you’ll be set to ride the waves and lay out on the lake all summer long.
With the cold weather upon us, AAA has some helpful reminders for how to stay safe on the roads. Follow these AAA’s Winter Driving Tips to drive safely in the rain, snow, sleet, and ice this winter in Oakland County.
Winter driving tips:
- Avoid driving while you’re fatigued. Getting the proper amount of rest before taking on winter weather tasks reduces driving risks.
- Never warm up a vehicle in an enclosed area, such as a garage.
- Make certain your tires are properly inflated.
- Never mix radial tires with other tire types.
- Keep your gas tank at least half full to avoid gas line freeze-up.
- If possible, avoid using your parking brake in cold, rainy and snowy weather.
- Do not use cruise control when driving on any slippery surface (wet, ice, sand).
- Always look and steer where you want to go.
- Use your seat belt every time you get into your vehicle.
Whether you’re a pro at hosting the Thanksgiving meal or this will be your very first time, it’s important to follow and practice food safety tips, especially when any type of raw meat is involved.
Oakland County Health Division put together a helpful list of safety tips that includes cleaning, separating, cooking, and chilling your food. We added a special section from the Partnership for Food Safety Education that tackles one of our Thanksgiving favorites: stuffing!
Read through the tips beforehand to get an idea of what to expect as you’ll be preparing your feast. Jot down some notes as you begin to think about what serving pieces and how many cutting boards you’ll need, your counter space arrangement, how many items need to go in the oven, etc. Continue reading
The scariest, and sweetest, time of the year is almost here! Little kids and big kids from all over Oakland County will be celebrating Halloween tomorrow. While dressing up in your favorite costume and running around the neighborhood collecting treats is fun, it’s important to stay safe while you do. Find your community’s trick-or-treating hours here and follow these tips to make sure your Halloween trick-or-treating goes smoothly and safely. Continue reading