There’s no need to travel far to experience world-class arts, culture, and entertainment. Oakland County is home to many excellent venues that provide year-round entertainment, no matter the season. Use the Oakland County Theatres interactive map to find a venue for concerts, movies, comedy and more.
Visiting a local movie theater can get you up close to your favorite actor or actress with big screens and booming sound systems. Acting troupes breathe new life into old works like William Shakespeare and Neil Simon, or perform modern day classics, like those from Tennessee Williams and Maya Angelou, as well as original productions at local community theatres.
Comedy clubs often bring big talent to an intimate audience that can leave you laughing for days. Visit a concert venue to see your favorite superstar or headliner, like Adele, One Direction, Carrie Underwood or Bruce Springsteen, in the flesh. Larger venues like The Palace, home to the Detroit Pistons, bring a wide range of events like ice skating shows, circuses and other live performances. Check venue websites for full line-ups.
Use these 10 helpful tips to make your experience at a theatre, club or venue the best it can be:
- Does the theater offer a rewards club? Joining reward clubs can make visits work for you with extra perks and birthday treats.
- Check out matinees or student ID perks for discounted tickets.
- Some performances are more popular than others so plan in advance to purchase tickets before they’re gone!
- Many theaters allow for advanced seat selection that allows for ample time to get to a movie or performance and still guarantee an excellent viewing position.
- Verify when the doors open for an event or concert if you’d like to get there early to beat traffic, and settle in.
- Always check the venue’s website for photo, video, and cell phone policy.
- Don’t have a lot of time to stop for food beforehand? Some theaters offer dinner before the show, or meals for purchase that can be enjoyed during the performance.
- Visit the website before heading out to verify parking and bag information. Some parking options change due to weather or time, and bags can be restricted depending on the performance.
- Indoor theaters can often be chilly from air conditioning, so be sure to pack a sweater or jacket to stay comfortable.
- Outdoor seating is often an option during the warmer months. Visit the venue’s website beforehand to see if seats are available, or if blankets and chairs can be brought inside.
Always be sure to call ahead to verify times and reservations requirements. Find a theater using our Oakland County Theatres interactive map, or use our Oakland County Theatres page to view a complete list of venues.