There are many options when it comes to home improvement. If you’ve had a lot of time this Winter to evaluate your home, then be sure to prioritize what you’d like to do first. Searching for contractors, designs, loans, and supplies can be frustrating, but there are tips and assistance programs for home owners in Oakland County.
Tips & Tricks
- Check your area for seminars, classes, and assistance to help your project. The Oakland County Community & Home Development Division can help.
- When looking at contractors, verify references, insurance certificates, and contracts before beginning any projects. Don’t be a victim of a home improvement scam.
- If you’ve been contacted by a salesmen at your door and you do not feel comfortable opening the door, speak through the door. If needed, lock the door and contact the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office.
- Love something you already have, but don’t know how to fit it into your new decor? Repurpose the piece to save money and reuse beloved pieces.
- If you’re renovating inside the home, take extra precaution to prevent injuries. Separate areas to ensure that children, pets and visitors don’t stumble upon something harmful.
- Don’t leave tools, screws, nails, or other items within reach of children or on the floor where they can be stepped on.
- Always wear eye, ear or face protection, and cover skin to prevent injury. Plan ahead for the type of project being undertaken.
- If your home improvement takes you outside, make sure to secure ladders and check for slippery surfaces to avoid a slip and fall accident.
If you’re looking for tips from experts without having to travel from store to store, the Novi Home Improvement Show is running January 29-31, is at the Suburban Collection Showplace. Advanced tickets can be found at participating Metro Detroit Home Depot stores for $2-off. Log onto the Novi Home Improvement Show website for coupons and more information on exhibitors and seminar schedules.