Exercise increases endorphins, relieves stress, provides energy and brightens a bad mood. If you’re looking for a reason to get active this winter, Oakland County has tons of outdoor activities for the whole family. Let our interactive map help you find a trail, hill or park to get outdoors and shake off those winter blues. Don’t let the cold weather keep you inside, get up and get healthy this winter.
Worried about the cold? Use these tips from A Healthier Michigan to make sure you’re prepared for cold weather exercise:
- Layer clothing: Make sure your first layer is a moisture-wicking material to keep sweat off your body. Your outer layer should be water resistant, so you stay dry.
- Wear sunglasses: If you decide to exercise outside with the sun shining, wear protective glasses for your eyes. The glasses should block out UVA and UVB rays.
- Wear a scarf to help protect your lung tissue from the cold air, and reflective materials if running or exercising in the dark to stay visible.
- Hydrate: Drinking sports drinks or water during winter is just as important as it is in the warm months. Fluid is still being lost, so proper hydration is vital.
- Keep moving: Since your body warms up naturally by moving, stopping for a break due to fatigue or injury can be dangerous. Your body cools down very quickly in the cold, making you more susceptible to frostbite and hypothermia. Try instead to slow your pace.
Use our Winter Activities page to help you find a trail, hill or park to get outdoors and shake off those winter blues. Find even more fun outdoors in our Winter Fun page with festivals, parades and attractions.